In 1984, the California Legislative Action Committee was formed. CLAC is a volunteer committee of CAI consisting of homeowners and professionals serving HOA’s. It is the largest advocacy organization in America dedicated to monitoring legislation, educating elected state lawmakers and protecting the interests of those living in community associations in California. In the past, CLAC has been instrumental in working with the State legislators in the formulation of bills and enactment of laws relating to community associations.
To safeguard and improve the community association lifestyle and their property values by advocating a reasonable balance between state statutory requirements and the ability and authority of individual homeowners to govern themselves through their community associations.
How Does CLAC Accomplish its Goals?
- Reviews and takes positions on all legislative bills affecting homeowners associations
- Hosts a “Legislative Day at the Capitol” event each year to educate legislators and members
- Employs a veteran lobbyist, Skip Daum, to testify at hearings and lobby (educate) the legislators in Sacramento
- Alerts HOA’s and their managers about important legislation
- Makes visits to legislators in their districts to continue the education begun in Sacramento
- Organizes “grass-roots” efforts to communicate en masse with legislators over topics that are particularly important to community associations
- Acts as a resource for legislators when considering legislation having to do with community associations.
The National CAI website also extensively discusses national legislative issues relevant to homeowner associations.
Stay up to date on what is going on at the Capitol by reading the ‘CLAC Corner’ from CAI-CLAC’s Lobbyist, Skip Daum or visit CAI-CLAC’s website.
CAI-Channel Islands Chapter’s CLAC Representatives
JASMINE F. HALE, ESQ.CLAC Liaison
JEFFREY A. BEAUMONT, ESQ.
STEVEN A. ROSEMAN, ESQ.CLAC Delegate
To support CAI-CLAC and their efforts in protecting the interests of Community Association residents, please consider the voluntary ‘Buck A Door or More’ fundraising efforts.
Thank you to our 2016 CLAC Contributors:
Agoura Country Owners Association
Cape Ventura HOA
Euclid Estates HOA
Heritage Park Oxnard Community
Hillview Estates HOA
Hitching Post Estates HOA
Las Casitas Maintenance
Leisure Village Association
Oak Ranch Estates HOA
Ocean Breeze Owners Association
Ojai Woodlands HOA
Orchard Lane Condominium Association
Strathmore Townhouse HOA
The Cedars Property Owners Association
The Marketplace Master Association
The Marketplace Owners Association
Tract 4028 in the City of Santa Paula
Valley Townhomes Owners Association
Victoria Condominiums HOA
Victoria Condominium North HOA
Village Green HOA
Woodbridge Park Association
Beaumont Gitlin Tashjian
Roseman & Associates, APC